The VICS Cannabutter Recipe
- Good quality organic cannabis:
- 14 grams of bud or 76 grams of shake (trim) per 454 grams (1 lb.) of butter
- 6 to 8 Litre (1.5 gallon) capacity boiling pot, or crock pot
- Fine mesh strainer, or colander, or large coffee filter, or nylon stockings
- Large refrigerator-safe pot
If using a pot on the stove:
• Fill a 6 to 8 litre pot with cold water and bring to boil
• Add butter.
• Add cannabis. Mix.
• Lower heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally (add water if necessary).
If using a 6 litre crock pot:
• Fill crock pot with 2 litres of water.
• Add butter and cannabis.
• Turn crock pot on to high (roughly 180 degrees F (82 degrees C), maximum 200 degrees F (93 degrees C)) for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
• Strain out liquid into refrigerator-safe bowl using fine strainer, large coffee filter or even nylons. Squeeze butter out of remaining leaf (wear gloves, the leaf is hot!). Discard strained leaf.
• Let liquid cool and then put into refrigerator overnight. Butter will separate from water and form a hard crust on surface of liquid.
• Lift out butter crust and put into large mixing bowl. Cream and fold butter using a large metal or wooden spoon. Discard remaining liquid.
Butter is ready to use as is. It will keep in freezer up to 3 months. When baking with cannabutter select recipes with short, low-heat (below 163 degrees C or 325 degrees F) cooking instructions (like cookies) or else the cannabinoids will break down while cooking.
Products baked with cannabutter will take effect within 30 to 90 minutes from initial ingestion. For maximum effect, ingest on an empty stomach. Cannabis butter can have a very strong narcotic effect. It is recommended that you do not drive or perform difficult tasks after eating cannabutter products.